Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sleep Deprivation is Hard on my Furniture

Last night marked my sixth night with little-to-no sleep. Sigh. Eloise is a party animal. She does her best talking, eating, dancing, thrashing, and fussing between the hours of 12:30 AM to 5:30 AM. Finally last night, I had HAD it and I determined that she needed a taste of her own medicine; I decided I would let her honestly cry (not just do her whining, fake-cry thing) for 10 minute before I rushed in to offer her my nurturing bosom. I came to this conclusion at 1:30 AM after an hour of rocking, singing, and cajoling her back to sleep. Twice. For the sixth night In. A. Row. Sigh, again.
At 1:45 AM I heard her first sniffles. After about 15 minutes of talking to herself, I heard the distinctive slurping of thumb sucking. A half hour later she started up again. She fussed for a bit then went back to sleep. Another 30 minutes passed and she woke again. Still she did not cry! Perhaps she is not the abhorrent sleeper I've accused her of being. Could it be I am merely an overbearing/over-protective/control freak mother? Who would have thought?
She woke up 3 times and put herself back to sleep each time. I am VERY proud of her, however it did not exactly help my sleep situation as I lay awake all night listening for her anyways. I assume if Weezy keeps this mature behavior up, my body will adjust again and I will be able to drift off before 5:30 in the morning. Until then, Brakes has taken to Gas-proofing our bedroom each night.

This is the result of me startling awake and rolling off the bed after I finally drifted to sleep in the early morning light. My bodacious post-baby bod demolished the night stand. If it were not a clip together number from Target, my self-esteem would be in ruins. Regardless, I think I will rev up the C25K program... just in case.

3 comments:

Alison said...

GOOD WORK MAMA!! We started the same mission a few weeks back... and had the EXACT same conclusion. And here I thought he was actually HUNGRY each time he woke up.

Funny thing is... now that he's sleeping past his 3 a.m. wake up... *I* am still waking up at that time.

minivan soapbox said...

Ah yes, I remember those nights. Even when she WAS sleeping...I would still lay there and think "Is she sleeping? Really? I shouldn't fall asleep just in case she wakes up again..." My brain would never turn off.

Anonymous said...

o my goodness! well I guess that means you get to get a new piece of furniature when we shop this weekend! love you, di