Monday, September 28, 2009

My Blog World Has Been Rocked!

Okay people, as my less-than-stellar camera skills hint at, I am not a technological genius (insert your best Ross impersonation here).  In fact, I had to trade smooches with my high-school boyfriend so that he would make me an email account.  I needed it to apply for college- I was that far behind the curve. 

On the nest, my online community when I am not traipsing around in blog-land, (and can we just note, how random it is that I even have an online community?  As stated above; I am NOT a web-savvy-gal) it was proposed that we have a weekly blogging challenge to keep things interesting and to get to share each other's fab blogs.  Now that I know there will be people not related to me (or people that I stalk and then guilt into “following” me. Just kidding.  Anyways.) looking at my stuff, I decided it was time to change things up a bit.  Plus it is finally officially Fall and, as you know, I’ll use any excuse to have me a little Fall Decor (FD!  SO EXCITED! OMIGOSH). 

After exhaustive Google searches (Windows Live Writer is my new best friend) and a couple of practice efforts I managed to change my background, design a new (massive, I’m working on that) header, up-load it all, and change my format so my pics don’t publish all hinkily spaced.   (How did I, a busy new mother, have time to rock my blog you ask?  One word: Ferber.  Don’t judge- we did what we had to do.)  Hopefully now Brakes and Gas will be easier on your eyes (though I make no promises as far as the content).  So without further ado:

Challenge #1: Why do you Blog?

I started a blog for several reasons:  

  • I had a lot of nervous energy during my pregnancy.
  • I suspected that B&G spawn would be so precious, I knew it would be a disservice to the public to not broadcast her to mass audiences.  I was obviously correct in this assumption.

I still blog today for several reasons:

  • I am a closeted ethnographer; I believe in the value of documenting lives. 
  • I imagine that somewhere along the line, Weezy will look over funny (or completely harrowing) tales of her youth and really comprehend how much she is loved and wanted… and the wretched pain that is childbirth.
  • Making the decision to have a baby and then making the very difficult decision to take a break from the profession I love was a lot of changes for me to take on in one fell swoop.  I think the blog gives me an outlet to express myself in an independent way.  It helps me feel connected to the world beyond my little bubble and it gives me much-needed satisfaction outside my roles as a wife and mother.  I think this is important. 
  • Lastly, I blog because I require a lot of attention (and you may have noticed, I am quite verbose) and even poor Brakes needs a “break” sometimes.  And blogging is more socially appropriate than having conversations with my imaginary friends in the bathroom.

3 comments:

designdazzle.blogspot.com said...

Hi brakes and gas,
fun name and fun blog:) thanks for the birthday wishes and thanks for leaving a comment. i also am from nor cal (EDH).
Toni

Lindsy said...

Love Windows live writer! Cute new format... off to do something with my own ; )

Lizz said...

I love a woman who admits that it would be a disservice not to share photos of her cutest baby ever AND can use the word ethnographer in the sentence! LOL
Excellent first entry, and thanks for participating!