Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lots (and Locks) of Love

Friday was my birthday. There are a few things I take very seriously in this life; my health, my family, and my birthday. Ask anyone who knows me, I start anticipating my special day at least a month in advance and in the days leading up to May 22nd poor Brakes is bombarded with questions (nags) about my gift and what fabulous event he has planned to celebrate me (I've never claimed humility). It must be spectacular and it must be a surprise. Needless to say, Brakes somewhat despises my birthday and likely the whole month of May. Around May 18th I begin having an irrational middle-child-esque fear that people will forget my birthday or that it will not be a big enough deal. By the time my birthday eve (which I absolutely do celebrate) rolls around I am practically in a frenzy of worry and anticipation; excited yet scared all at the same time...
Well, this year (and to be honest, every year before this year too, I told you my concerns are irrational) I had no need to fear! My husband came up with the most special, most thoughtful, most fantastic birthday present/event ever! He got me a... MAKEOVER!!!!!!!
I love makeup and I am especially vain about my long and luxurious hair however as of late I have been feeling a little lack-luster about my appearance. Call it the baby weight or maybe it is the lack-of-sleep induced black circles under my eyes, but my self-image has shifted slightly since the baby was born. I no longer pass each mirror with a wink and a smile (to my reflection: "loooookiiin gooooood!") and I'll admit there has been some swearing in the bedroom when I try on yet another pair of pre-baby pants that don't fit anymore. Apparently Brakes noticed my sentiment and decided to do something to address the problem head-on. He instituted: Project MILF (Mom I'd Like to Flirt With (I am a nice girl after all). He called his sister, Diana, (who happens to be my BFF and a total beauty guru) and said, "Make it happen!" She planned a fabulous day in the city complete with a trip to my new Mecca, Sephora, and an overhaul by Miss Sarah Mya (http://misssarahmya.com/).
My look, while formerly fabulous, was in definite need of an overhaul! I've had the same hair and make-up routine for the last 9 years; it was time for a change.
Lovely Lena at Sephora gave me a new face (which includes covering up the dreaded dark circles) and taught me how to use make-up brushes, primer, and bronzing shimmer. I now have a day look and night look! Who knew all this fabulous stuff existed? Diana and Lena threw stuff into a sack and Brakes, or as we called him all day, Money-Bags, footed the bill! It was so cool to be spoiled like that and I walked out of Sephora feeling like a million bucks (and it only cost Brakes a couple of hundred, what a deal?)!
Then after a quick stop at Westlake Shopping Center (Diana, Miss San
Francisco, coyly informed me it is a shopping centre, not a mall!) to nurse the Weez, we headed over to Sarah Mya's new salon, Ketér.
My haircut was the cherry on top of my birthday surprise sundae because it gave me the opportunity to do something I have been wanting to do for ages. I donated all of my hair (which is extra thick and healthy thanks to all the pregnancy hormones) to Locks of Love (http://www.locksoflove.org/)! Sarah Mya cut 2 ponytails off! I was not the least bit nervous and it really makes me feel good to know that my hair is going to help make some little kid smile and wink at their reflection in the mirror! It doesn't get much better than that!



Lena, Diana, Sarah Mya, the Weez, and Henry did an amazing job on my birthday surprise makeover and lets just say, I've got my swagger back! I had so much fun being spoiled and pampered; I feel like a better version of my old self again and that is the best birthday present in the world. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go kiss my husband and then put my face on, dahlink! I use bronzer you know? Muah!

Before

After



3 comments:

Stefanie K. said...

Suuuuper cute!! I love the short cut...it has a lot of style to it, but looks easy to maintain. Awesome!!

melissa said...

Hi Katie, I am so glad to see that you blog!!! Your little one is sooo cute and I love all her hair!! Isn't having a girl fun!! Sooo many cute little things for them!!! I look forward to reading about her as she grows up!!

Alison 'n Brandyn said...

LOVE the new cut Katie!! You look great!!