Monday, October 10, 2011

iMom

In April I had a baby.  In May another less important, though still life altering, event took place; I got an iphone.  My mom generously gifted me my new bff for my birthday.  I’ll be honest, I was suspect. I am not exactly technologically savvy and I have long looked askance at those people whose phones seem to be physically attached to their person.  I was quite comfortable with my old-fashioned Nokia flip phone.  It was sturdy enough to withstand the daily abuse of a toddler and fairly clumsy 20-something.  Plus it tucked nicely into my cleavage without disrupting the line of my cotton tee yet my vast chi-chi’s did not smother the volume while on speaker phone therefore negating the need for a head-set. Simple pleasures, people.  However after much hemming and hawing, I broke down and joined the dark side. 

Now, I am not sure how I ever got along without my trusty sidekick.  I knew I would enjoy the convenience of plugging the address into the MapQuest app rather than frantically rifling through paper directions and almost always, still ending up lost.  And I would be lying if I said I had never whipped out my fancy friend and did a quick Google search to prove Brakes wrong on some useless bit of trivia.  But what I had not anticipated is how my iphone would actually increase my productivity, motivate and inspire me in several different ways, and allow me to be a better mother. (Too much?) Overall, thanks to my phone, I spend less time on the internet (I typically browse during nursing sessions and I go days without turning on my laptop), I am far more organized with my calendar, shopping lists, and meal plans, right at my finger tips, which saves time and allows for more tea-parties and tickle sessions.  Also, for the first time in my life, I can run.  I was always the girl at the back of the track offering “help” to the asthmatics during the mile runs in PE.  But, I decided to give running one more shot after Olive was born just until I got cleared to get back into the pool. I was cleared to swim 3 months ago but I seem to have caught the running bug.  With the help of my favorite apps to track pace, mileage, etc., and the podcasts or music I stream to keep me entertained, I am up to 5 miles three times a week. And lastly, I am finally doing a better job of documenting my sweet girls’ childhoods and it is so much easier to keep in touch with those that I love; I can capture a quick picture of something cute and text it to Movy (my mom) lickity split and Eloise loooooves the FaceTime feature (she thinks its magic).  I just figured out how to download the photos from my phone to my computer and I’ve had a ball looking through all the fun we had this summer.  (This activity inspired the gushing about my phone.  The wine I am currently  sipping may also be contributing to the waxing poetic about an appliance. Sorry.)  Aren’t my girls cute? Also, what else am I missing? What are your fave apps? My number ones are Hulu, iMapmyRun, Pandora, yelp, igaragesale, and of course, Pinterest. What are yours?

IMG_1423IMG_1308IMG_1340IMG_1362IMG_1402IMG_1015IMG_1409IMG_1054IMG_1117IMG_0966

3 comments:

African Kelli said...

Love catching up with your gorgeous family here. And oh man, Eloise and Roscoe could be twins. The hair is different, but so many of the features are the same!

Miss you and hope to see you at Christmas!

SmartAssMom said...

SNORT - helping the asthmatics. So glad when you post! (As if I can talk.)

rach. said...

i dig it.

love, rach.
www.so--hi.blogspot.com