Tuesday, June 23, 2009

To Nap or Not to Nap? That is the question?

Miss Weezy and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to the age old question: To nap or not to nap? I think no-naps makes for a cranky butthole of a baby. Weezy thinks it furthers her artistic endeavors and pushes her spiritually. My 3-month old daughter is well on her way to writing angst-filled poetry- Translation: Without a nap Eloise turns into a Hamlet-inspired drama queen. She could easily put the Ole Bard to shame! Traveling to Phoenix this weekend, even with all of our fun and advenutre, really showed me what I need to work on with Weezy so that we can get the most out of all the fun stuff we have coming up this summer.

She is great on an airplane. My heart soared with pride when, upon exiting the plane, the man who had sat next to Brakes and I was startled to see that we had a baby with us. Eloise had not made a peep the whole flight! She loves to be held and does not mind being passed around to multiple people! Breastfeeding has become so second nature that we've even ditched the nipple gaurds which made public feedings such a hassle! In short: she is the perfect baby, except when it comes to napping. She does not like to nap (she is nosy like me and afraid she'll miss something.) and when she does sleep during the day it is often fitfully and she has to be on someone's lap or chest. Generally she gets overly-tired and super cranky. At home we deal with this by moving up her bedtime or popping her into the swing but while on vacay these options are not availiable. Without sleep our sweet-natured little girl gets super sad and irritable and she totally misses out on fun times... not to mention she stresses her parents out.

In early July we are going on a two week vacation. I have until then to whip her napping routine into shape. This is what she currently does:

Sleeps from 10:30 pm to 5:30 am
Sleeps from 6:00 am to 8:30 am
Sleeps from 10:15 am to 10:45 am
Might take a cat-nap or two in the afternoon (around 3:00 pm) but does not take a significant nap for the rest of the day. By 7:00pm, her tolerance gets really low and Brakes and I start anticipating the bedtime routine which we start between 8:15 and 9:00 pm.

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

melissa said...

First off, I am impressed by the fat that she sleep from 10:30-5:30!!! Wow!! I read a book, The No Cry Sleep Solution, which states that infants need to go to bed between 6:00-7:30 pm. It goes on to say that if they go to bed eariler, they sleep better and for longer. Also, The No Cry Nap Solution is a good book on napping. Little Miss Katrina did the same thing...only wanting to nap while being held for the first 3 months too. I finally started putting her down in her carseat. There are good ideas in each of those books. Good luck!!!

amazingzipperedwoman said...

Weezy is just like her mom, her Auntie Megs, and her Movy - she's afraid if she sleeps, she might miss something. And she has several soaps she watches during the day.

Zoe said...

Kyva has a hard time with naps during the day too. Sometimes she'll fall asleep in the swing, but most often I just need to wear if I want her to get a good nap in. She sleeps GREAT in the Moby wrap (super hot though, poor thing sweats like a hog in there!) and usually I can get her to nap in the Beco carrier too if I'm out walking around. Good luck!